It’s becoming increasingly trendy to opt-out of traditional full-time employment and choose a flexible work schedule instead these days. And the good news is that more and more employers are opening up to the idea of flexible working too.
But what are your work schedule options? What does each one mean, and how do you find the right one for you?
If your work schedule is part-time, it means that you work less than the average schedule. This could mean working less than the 40 average hours per week or just working on certain days of the week.
Advantages of part-time roles
- Fewer hours at the office gives you more time to spend with your family
- Part-time roles are great because they allow you to dip your toes in the water to see which path is right for you if you’re considering a career change
- This schedule gives you the opportunity to study or do vocational training while still earning an income at the same time
Disadvantages of part-time roles
- Less working hours generally equates to less income.
- Part-time employees have fewer responsibilities, influence, and say in matters compared to full-time employees.
Keep in mind
It can be tough to transition to a part-time work schedule if you’ve been employed full-time with the same employer. If this is something you’re considering, you’ll also need to convince your employer that you’ll still produce the most effective work in less time.
On the flip side, part-time positions can support you while you’re searching for permanent employment. It can also be a great way to get your foot in the door with a company to prove that you’re an indispensable asset and might secure a full-time position for you in the future.
🔍Browse Adzuna’s collection of part-time jobs.
Temporary employees are often referred to as contractors or freelancers. They might be employed for just a day or for up to a year, depending on the needs of the employer. But the most important thing to keep in mind about temporary roles is that they always have definite end dates. If you’ve got specialist skills, temporary positions can help you earn big bucks on a schedule that works with your availability.
Advantages of temporary roles
- You likely won’t be involved in office politics that are a standard feature in many organisations
- It’s a great way to earn extra income over short periods of time
- Temporary roles are ideal for newly qualified graduates or parents looking to return to the workforce after starting a family
- There’s no need to commit to the long-term, which allows you to test out a number of roles
Disadvantages of temporary roles
- Work might not regularly be available, and as the number of hours might not always be consistent, it can hurt your pocket in the long run
- As a temporary employee, you’ll have limited rights to sick leave ad holiday pay
Keep in mind
If you want to start working on a temporary schedule, it’s essential to showcase your abilities right off the bat. You won’t have the luxury of being trained for the job like full-time employees. So, if you’re applying for a gig, especially a highly-skilled role, it’s crucial to have a portfolio on hand that demonstrates your past success and worth.
🔍Browse through Adzuna’s temporary listings.
Permanent, full-time employment are salaried positions that generally require employees to work a minimum of 36 hours per week. The vast majority of the workforce is employed on a full-time basis, and it’s for the protection of the employee as well as the employer. Without full-time employees, employers risk losing their staff members at the drop of a hat.
Advantages of permanent roles
- Full-time positions offer financial security. If you’re permanently employed, you’re ensured of a certain amount of money every month.
- There are set goals to achieve, and career opportunities are generally much more accessible.
- As you become integrated into your team and make friends with colleagues, you’ll have a greater sense of job satisfaction.
Disadvantages of permanent roles
- Working long hours might affect your work-life balance.
- A lack of change and the same commute every day can cause frustration.
- You’re tied to your employer for a certain amount of time, even if you want to resign.
Keep in mind
There are upsides and downsides to permanent employment too. But if you’re looking for something long-term where you can rely on a steady income every month, this might be the best fit for you.
🔍Search through Adzuna’s full-time positions.